a qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog
<

I chose this photo because it partially relates to the topic I am doing on how society views  male dancers in the Indian dance community. I took this photo at a recent cultural show here at Queens College.  I feel that it conquers stereotypes of male dancers by demonstrating their masculinity.

GSA Cultural Show-Natraj Dance Group

I chose this photo because I think it most closely relates to the project I am doing on body image in the Indian dance community. This picture was taken from the Clip Art Library and was drawn by George Supreeth.  I believe this image says a great deal about how the artist and possibly people in general feel about the ideal dancer’s body.  It’s interesting how the artist had many options in sketching this female dancer, but he chooses to make her thin. Is that surprising? Why couldn’t the dancer be thicker in size? Although I do not agree,  I sometimes feel that “thicker” or full-figured dancers are only portrayed for satirical or comical purposes.  Is this acceptable?

Clip Art Library – by George Supreeth-http://www.openclipart.org/detail/28589

March 24th, 2010 at 12:35 am and tagged , ,

5 Responses to “Feel the Rhythm”
  1. 1
      antonia says:

Good! I am curious what your participants will respond to your questions about the second picture…

2. 2
      devyndarko says:

You pose a very interesting question at the end of your post and i really like that you are asking questions that push the envelope.. on questioning sizism and lookism. Facing the pressures of what a woman is supposed to look like is something that all women can be faced with, and athletes are no exception to that. I also like that aside from questioning body image, you’re looking into men and the dance world… What are some questions that you plan on asking the male dancers? I look forward to seeing what will come of this.

Devin

3. 3
      christinepersaud says:

Hey Devin, thanks for your comment! I may ask them of the pressures and the consequences they face in being male dancers. My focus is not so much on the male dancers themselves, as it is on the participants I’m questioning about the male dancers. I intend on asking the participants their perceptions of male dancers. For example, a male dancer in the Indian dance community may not be perceived the same as a male dancer in another community. I intend on strictly observing dancers performing to reggae and indian music.

4. 4
      ksyed100 says:

Hey christine, I must admit that I was being very stereo typical myself when I thought of the bodies of professional dancers. I thought that they would be tall, thin and ofcourse inshape. But I actually saw the choreographers behind some of the music videos and it was shocking to me that most of them were actually over weight especially in the bollywood industry.

5. 5

astronomy.swin.edu.au

Expression through Image » Feel the Rhythm